What is ISO Certification? Types, Importance, and Advantages
ISO means “The International Organization for Standardization”. This independent organization provides standards in terms of safety, quality and product efficiency & business services. In the competitive business world, it is imperative to deliver good quality of goods and services in order to prolong in the market. ISO Certification improves business credibility and overall business efficiency.
What are the types of ISO Certification?
- OHSAS18001 – Occupational Health & Safety Management System
- ISO 9001:2008- Quality Management System
- ISO 27001 – Information Security Management System
- ISO 10002 – Compliant Management System
- ISO 14001:2015 – Environment Management System
- ISO 26000 – Social Responsibility
- ISO 31000 – Risk Management
- ISO 22008 – Food Safety Management
- SA 8000 – Social accountability
- ISO 28000 – Security Management
- EnMS EN 16001 ISO 50001 – Energy Management
What are the advantages of ISO Certification?
International credibility: ISO Certification plays an important role in helping the organization to build credibility in overseas business too.
Customer Satisfaction: ISO standards are designed to make organizations to serve their customers in a better way that would simultaneously increase customers’ satisfaction. ISO Certification promotes customers satisfaction by meeting out their requirements
Government Tenders: Nowadays, ISO Certification is quite necessary to bid for Government Tenders.
Business Efficiency: Functional efficiency of organizations is improved by implementing ISO Certification. Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and work instructions can be developed with the help of ISO Certification Agency. Implementation of ISO manages the resources efficiently.
Product Quality: With ISO Certification, the product quality matches up the international standard, it can reduce the risk of order rejections that may occur due to the flawed products.
Marketability: ISO Certification improves the business credibility with the existing and current clients and it helps to the business marketing directly.
Benefits of various ISO certifications:
ISO 27001: This certification helps to secure and safeguard data and critical information from hackers (or) safeguards from unauthorized persons’ access. It is a known fact that data and information are the assets of an organization and when it is lost or leaked out, the company will face an adverse effect on revenue part. Keeping ISO 27001 Certification builds confidence in the clients, and it would help a company to retain more clients and it will also bring in many new clients.
ISO 14001:2015: ISO 14001 provides business with a composition for administrating environmental operations, and it applies to all sizes and types of service and manufacturing operations include single to multi-national companies, service and process industries.
- Improves operational efficiency
- Promotes staff morale and environment
- Accesses the international markets
- Reduces cost and wastages
- Improves environmental performance
- Improves a company’s image
- Enhances customers trust/satisfaction and confidence
ISO 9001:2008: This quality management certification helps to manage a business, increases the efficiency of delivering products/services to the customers. It aids in implementing best practices as per the global standards. ISO 9001:2008 helps in demonstrating an organization’s quality management to the customers. Besides the above benefits some other benefits are detailed below:
- Helps to create a good impression on your associates
- Promotes the chances of winning contracts
- This certification is important to apply for any contracts
- Earns respect from the competitors, associates and partners
ISO 10002: It helps organizations to recognize, manage and understand how the companies deal with their customers’ complaints. ISO 10002 Certification offers guidance for handling complaints related to a company’s products, including planning, design, maintenance, operation and improvement. The complaint-handling method is one of the processes of an overall quality management system.
- It helps to retain customers
- Maintains brand reputation
- Improves operational efficacy
- Promotes continuous improvement
What are the prerequisite to process ISO certification?
Choose the right types of ISO. Since there are various types of ISO certifications available, you have to choose the right option for your business.
- Choosing the right type of ISO body:
One thing should be noted that ISO itself does not provide companies’ certification. It is done by the external bodies. So, it is important to recognize the credible certification body.
When choosing an ISO registrar, the following points should be kept in mind:
- You should evaluate several ISO Certification providers
- Check whether the company follows CASCO standards.
- Check whether the company is accredited or not. Though accreditation is not mandatory, however, the companies should meet the ISO accreditation bodies’ requirements.
- Create an application/contract
The registrar and the applicant should agree on a contract, which usually defines obligation and right of both the parties, includes confidentiality, access rights and liability issues
Company’s manuals & documents will be reviewed by the ISO auditor. Reviewing the current work
will help the ISO auditor to identify and eliminate the gaps against the requirements stipulated in the ISO standards
After seeing the communication and other accessible gaps in the organization, the ISO auditor will prepare an action plan to eliminate the gaps. Sometimes, the employer will be told to train its employees as per the new procedures. An Employer should make all the employees to learn about the ISO procedure.
Initial audit certification
Stage1 and 2 are initial audit certification levels
Stage 1: The ISO auditor will see the changes made in your organization. Then, the non-conformities in the systems, procedure in your company are identified as desired by the quality management system. The employer should carefully monitor the modifications desired by the organization
Once all the necessary changes are done in the company, the final auditing is done by the ISO auditor. The auditor will check whether all the non-conformities are eliminated as per the ISO standards. If once he is satisfied, he will prepare the final audit report and the same will be forwarded to the registrar.
Completing the ISO certification
Once all summaries are written in the ISO audit report, the ISO certification is granted by the registrar.
Depends on the number of employees, processes steps, Level of risk associated with the risk of the organization, Management system’s complexity, the number of shifts, are considered in the ISO certification cost process. Up to 15 months time will be taken for ISO certification process.