It is an international standard for the service management that is applicable for all service providers irrespective of the size, type and nature of the services delivered.
Benefits of ISO 20000-1: 2018 Certification
Increased credibility for suppliers: This certification gives a level of credibility to the organizations that they would unable to achieve. The reason behind the certification is an international standard in service management, that’s why it has been recognized around the world and proves the certified business associates with the best practices and its SMS is fully compliant. A good example for the benefit of certification is government agency mandates suppliers to submit tenders for new work must be ISO 20000-1 certified.
Proactive service management: Since ISO 20000-1 certification tends to deliver value to the customers whose expectations have been growing all the time. In order to keep customers happy, service management needs a shift from conventional incident management that is fixing something that has been reported as broken and fixing something that may have an adverse impact on the customer. The definition of the term INCIDENT in ISO 20000-1 includes “An event that has not yet impacted the customer service.
Positive cultural change: ISO 20000-1 helps organizations to change their culture and work with entirety. Particularly, blaming and pointing the fingers are decreased because everyone is encouraged taking ownership of services instead of pushing responsibility on the IT department.
Cost reduction: Proactive service management aids in avoiding costly issues and mistakes and helps in processing smoothly. Besides reduction in incidents, towards support cost less money is spent and less is lost through business outages as they become less frequent or sometimes can be avoided together.
Leadership: A leadership team’s involvement in the management system ensures the entire organization to understand the service management requirements, and motivated by the support. It provides in achieving organizations objectives and goals.
ISO 20000-1 document indicates requirements for an enterprise to establish, implement, maintain and continuously improve SMS. This document specifies including planning, design, transition, delivery and service improvement to meet out the service requirements and it can be used by:
- A customer seeks services and requires assurance regarding those services quality
- A customer requires a constant approach to the service from all its service providers including those in a supply chain.
- An enterprise is to demonstrate its capacity for the planning, designing, and transition, delivery and service improvements.
- Other parties or an organization that perform conformity assignments against the needs specified in this document.
- A training provider or advice in service management
This internationally recognized ISO 20000-I is the best practice framework for an SMS that helps in providing a consistent, and reliable service. It supports in embedding a service life cycle plan into your enterprise by providing the best practice guidance on how to manage your services portfolio in order to make it remain current.
How to implement 20000-1:2018?
- Acquire commitment and strong support from senior management
- Using good internal communication, engage your whole business
- Do not forget to compare existing IT service management processes with ISO 20000-1 system requirements
- Obtain user, supplier and customer feedback on current IT service management provision
- In order to get the best results to establish an implementation team
- Determine roles, responsibilities and time limits.
- Do adopt the basic principles of ISO 20000-1
- Conduct training and support your staff with incentives to motivate their involvement
- Review your ISO 20000-1:2018 system periodically to ensure that you are continuously improving it.
How to get ISO 20000-1:2018 Certification?
ISO 20000-1:2018 gap analysis:
Before the assessment visit is an optional service that is done in your place. Your existing information SMS and the ISO 20000-requirements are compared. If you would like to work on any areas before carrying the formal assessment, it will be cost-effective.
Firstly, your organization’s readiness for the assessment is analyzed by checking the necessary ISO 2000-1:2018 procedures and controls that are developed. If any gaps are found, the same will be informed to the organization so that they can close them. Secondly, while all the requirements are in place, procedural implementation and controls will be assessed within the organization to ensure that the enterprise is working effectively as required for ISO 20000-1: 2018 certification.
Certification: After receiving the certificate, the ISO consultant will visit your place to see your continuous improvement.
While achieving ISO 20000-1 certification, you can show customers and stakeholders about your commitment to deliver a quality service. This certification makes you celebrate your achievement, business promotion and confirms that you are a responsive organization who acts according to the changing service delivering environment.